February 8, 2013

Harry Potter Spell Sampler

The best thing about being a nerdy crafter is having friends who are nerdy and who enjoy receiving your craft projects. This cross-stitch is something I made for a friend whose love of Harry Potter is akin to my own.



This is a list of spells from Harry Potter, using a list I found online. (Lesson learned - the list wasn't complete and some spells were repetative. Amusingly, one of the missing spells is "deletrius," the deleting spell. Guess it works!) I decided to use only the spells referenced in the books, 'cause I'm a purist like that. ;)

I alternated between three of my friend's favorite colors; you could use any number of different colors, though I think two or more is best. The three Unforgivable Curses have been crossed out with a line of back-stitched black floss; it seemed fitting for the curses which will land you into Azkaban should you use them. The spell for creating the Dark Mark, mosmorde*, has little skulls in the "o"s. I free-styled the decor pieces and the "HP" at the bottom to fill in the extra space. The final piece fit into an 8"x12" frame perfectly!

If you want to replicate this yourself, it's important to use a font where all of the letters are the exact same size. I had to adjust a couple of letters from this style, yet again from my big book of cross-stitch alphabets to fit. Also, I would recommend that you make a pattern of this before starting it (read: not starting off freestyle and then making a pattern, which is what I did. Let's just say that the space left for the "HP" at the bottom was not what I originally had in mind.) If you want the piece to be even on all sides, you'll have to play with how many letters you can have on each row.

I think my favorite thing about this piece is the way in which the colors interact on the piece. I've considered making a version of this for myself in my own colors, but I'm afraid my preferred (read: drab) schemes wouldn't look nearly as magical as this one.

*There are two spellings of this spell, but this one fit my pattern better.

No comments:

Post a Comment